MEND! Mind, Exercise Nutrition, Do It! January Programs
MEND is a is a FREE program for families and children ages 2 to 13. The mission of MEND is to inspire children, families and adults to lead and sustain fitter, healthier and happier lives. MEND programs are designed for specific age groups and provide a supportive environment for families to interact, learn skills to change behavior, and make healthy lifestyle choices through healthy eating and increased physical activity.
You will learn about:
· Healthy eating and mealtime habits
· How to read food labels
· What serving sizes look like
· Building self esteem
· Active play
· Positive parenting
· Behavior change strategies
· Healthy growth
MEND offers programs for the following:
· MEND 2-4 is a perfect program if you have a picky or fussy eater! The MEND 2-4 program uses play-based learning plus behavioural and parenting skills training (Mind) to help families become physically active (Exercise) and make informed food choices (Nutrition). It’s all based within a practical, fun and supportive philosophy of inspiring and motivating change (Do it!) in a community setting. The program runs once per week over 10 weeks. Each session is 90 minutes long
· MEND 5-7 program is a healthy lifestyle program for 5-7 year olds who are at risk of, or are above a healthy weight and their families. The program empowers children and families to gain skills to make healthy lifestyle choices around healthy eating, physical activity and self-confidence. The program has 10 sessions spread over 10 weeks. Each session is 1 hour and 45 minute long. Families will learn healthy eating and mealtime routines, reading food labels, what serving and healthy portions look like and being an active family!
· MEND 7-13 is a healthy lifestyle program for 7 to 13 year olds who are above a healthy weight. MEND 7-13 program combines physical activity, healthy eating and behaviour change to facilitate safe, effective weight management and lasting lifestyle change. MEND 7-13 is not a diet and does not encourage rapid width loss. Families learn skills and information that support long-term lifestyle changes. Families are better equipped to feel fitter, healthier and happier for the rest of their lives. It involves two - 1 or 2-hour sessions every week for eight weeks.
Details can be found on the MEND web site www.kinesiology.usask.ca
We all know keeping kids healthy is hard. MEND empowers children and families to become fitter, healthier and happier!